Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Wild Things

I have not yet seen the film version of Sendak’s Masterpiece Where the Wild Things Are. But in Paris I picked up a copy of Dave Egger’s The Wild Things- a book about a movie about a book. And I was incredibly disappointed. Who, exactly, does he think he is writing for? Not me, not anyone I can think of. There were all sorts of uncomfortable moments, difficult issues, not to mention violent moments and parts that seemed sexual (almost like a modern Red Riding Hood). I’d prefer not to pull apart the story and explain this more fully- I’d rather just forget the book. And so, while I was looking forward to the movie, I am now avoiding it. The only thing that could bring one to pick up this book is the McSweeney’s Packaging- it’ll get you every time.

1 comment:

  1. The movie was good, I really really enjoyed it. It is not a children's movie per se, but it is a realistic movie about children and growing up. Minus the sexual parts. At least, none that I can recall, and I have a filthy, filthy mind.

    ReplyDelete