Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Non Fiction

Something I personally dislike, but I have found some to like. 

Artists in Times of War – by Howard Zinn – This book is good for not just artists, but all people.  Zinn is amazing.  This book contains four short essays and is easy to read in one sitting (not a Marika sitting, a normal sitting).  This may be my favorite non-fiction. 

Nickel and Dimed: on (Not) Getting by in America* by Barbara Ehrenreich- my mom’s college professor.  Follows the author’s journey as she attempts to get by in America with just minimum wage jobs.  An eye-opener.  I suggest anything by Ehrenreich. 

Madeleine L’Engle Herself: Reflections on a Writing Life* - I found this book insightful, especially after rereading her novels.  Highly recommended (and I don’t even like non-fiction).  This book provides insight into writing, reading, life, and religion.  Each idea is a page long so it’s good if you want something that’s stop-and-go.  It’s wonderful in conjunction with her fictional works. 

Big Fat White Men, Dude, Where’s My Country? By Michael Moore- these are a leftist-view of American economy and politics.  Some people can’t stand Moore, but I found his books insightful and amusing in high school. 

A People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn- an amazing, eye-opening view of American history. One of the best histories you can find.  Also watch the documentary on him: You Can’t Stay Neutral on a Moving Train.  

Night by Wiesel- a holocaust story that is short but heavy (I read it in 8th grade reading).  I’ve seen pieces from it done for speech and debate many times.  

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell- Amazing book that was passed from my mom to me, to my brother.  It explores the validity of first impressions, as well as their shortcomings, and how the brain goes about processing things.  I’m trying to get my hands on his most recent but haven’t yet succeeded. 

Crossover Fiction by Sandra Beckett- one of the only books written on crossover literature it is a very expensive book and difficult to get your hands on but well worth the wait of interlibrary loaning- especially if you are a librarian or teacher.  With chapters on crossover books in different languages and countries as well as some brief history on crossover novels in our past (though this is not quite as thorough as it could be).  Some very good quotes by authors are included.  This book played an important role in the formulation of my minor’s thesis.  

No comments:

Post a Comment