Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Rubbish as Reading

Rubbish is read a lot.  I don't have a problem with this, I simply have a problem with giving horrible messages to tween and teen girls, who already have enough problems and hormones that they don't need bad messages and examples on top of it.  What am I referring to?  The Twilight series, the blockbusting book and movie I wanted nothing to do with.  Unfortunately, their popularity caused me to take notice, not because they were getting girls to read, but because they promote abstinence, self-depreciation, and unhealthy relationships.  A very good article can be found in Bitch magazine (a feminist response to pop culture) here:http://bitchmagazine.org/article/bite-me-or-dont

I am currently reading the books (slogging through is more like it) so that I can write a more thorough article on them.  Meanwhile, I encourage open discussion about the bad examples found in these books and a shift to more empowering fiction (Alanna, anyone?).  

No comments:

Post a Comment